Founded in 1997 by Kevin Mitchell, Kilikanoon is a boutique Clare Valley winery with an international reputation for producing regionally expressive, terroir-driven wines. The Kilikanoon property, featuring a circa 1860s stone cottage housing Kilikanoon's tasting room, was originally settled by early English migrants who named it after an historic old mansion in Cornwall. On purchase of the historic property in 1997, mature vineyards of Shiraz, Cabernet, Grenache and Riesling that had been planted by Kevin's father, Mort in the 1960s, became a part of Kilikanoon, and now form the heart of the estate vineyards. Peter Warr joined the winery in late 2018 after traveling the world honing his craft and is now responsible for carrying on Mort and Kevin's legacy at this treasured Clare Valley estate. Kilikanoon is rated by US and Australian critics as one of the Clare Valley's outstanding wineries, producing bracingly intense and long-lived Rieslings, along with powerful, yet balanced Shiraz, Grenache and Cabernet Sauvignon.
"This is one of the most brilliantly run wineries in Australia, and the quality of the entire portfolio is impressive thanks to the enviable talents of winemaker Kevin Mitchell... also one of South Australia's 'good guys.'"
Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate (2005)
- Founded: 1997
- Winemaker: Peter Warr
- Size: 230 acres in the Clare Valley
- Climate: Continental with mediterranean influence, warm days and cool nights, low humidity
- Key Varieties: Shiraz, Riesling and Grenache
As the descendent of a long line of Clare Valley grape growers, founder Kevin Mitchell holds a passion for terroir, particularly that of the beautiful Clare, with its steep north-south ranges and austere slate escarpments. The Kilikanoon winemaking philosophy focuses on minimal intervention, letting the family’s mature vineyards shine. This means no fining, clarification or filtering; the wines settle themselves. Likewise, the intensity of flavor, achieved through low yields, will not be compromised. A steadfastness to these principles offers the Kilikanoon wines a robustness of flavor and texture that is present across the entire range, defining and setting them apart from their peers.
With around 50 wineries producing less than 2% of the Australian grape crush, the Clare Valley remains boutique in stature and philosophy, despite developing an envied reputation for producing mineral-driven, age-worthy Riesling and Shiraz.
Altitude, aspect and position within the Valley create unique macro-climates, though it is the universally cool afternoon breezes that are key in providing long, slow ripening conditions in this warm climate.
Kilikanoon boasts access to the best of the Clare, yet the nuclei of the Kilikanoon vineyards are those planted by Kevin’s father, Mort, in the Leasingham sub-district. Affectionately known as the “Golden Hillside,” this unique site boasts a terroir of rich red loam soils over free-draining limestone and plentiful sunshine that has kept the vines flourishing for 50 years. These terra rossa soils are renowned for producing long-lived Rieslings of distinct minerality, and spicy, dark-fruited reds of great intensity and earthiness.
- RESERVE COLLECTIONMort's Reserve Riesling2017 2013 2012The Duke Grenache2015 2014 2013Miracle Hill Shiraz (formerly M Reserve)2012 2010 2009Oracle Shiraz2016 2015 2014Crowhurst Reserve Shiraz (formerly R Reserve)2012 2010 2009
- REGIONAL COLLECTIONMort's Block Riesling2021 2018 2017Prodigal Grenache2014 2013 2012Medley Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre2012 2010 2008Covenant Shiraz2018 2015 2014Parable Shiraz2014 2010 2009Testament Shiraz2015 2007 2006Blocks Road Cabernet Sauvignon2018 2017 2015
- KILLERMAN'S RUNRiesling2021 2020 2019Shiraz2019 2018 2017Cabernet Sauvignon2019 2018 2017Grenache Shiraz Mataro2020 2018 2017
- THE LACKEYThe Lackey Shiraz2019 2018 2013